For general information regarding graduation requirements, consult the KSU Catalog. For advice regarding specific program course requirements, see an advisor within your academic department.
Petitioning to Graduate
If you have petitioned for graduation, specific information regarding your graduation status has been posted at the “Display Petition Status” link in Student Records in Owl Express. If you have questions regarding the notes posted in this link, contact your advisor and/or your specific auditor in the GATES office.
Students will not be allowed to participate in the commencement ceremony early. Students will walk in the ceremony after all degree requirements have been completed.
Undergraduate students are eligible to submit a formal petition for the degree through our online petition process when they have earned 90 earned hours.
Login to Owl Express; select Student Records tab; select Petition to Graduate. The graduation petition process initiates a petition fee assessment, and the academic record will be audited to determine eligibility toward the degree.
Expect four to six weeks for results of an initial degree audit. Audit Results are viewable at the Display Petition Status link in Owl Express, and you will be prompted by email to view status changes in addition to essential audit results and graduation policies.
Submit a formal petition for the degree through our online petition process.
Login to Owl Express; select Student Records tab; select Petition to Graduate.
The graduation petition process initiates a petition fee assessment, and the academic record will be audited to determine eligibility toward the degree. Expect four to six weeks for results of an initial degree audit. Audit Results are viewable at the Display Petition Status link in Owl Express, and you will be prompted by email to view status changes in addition to essential audit results and graduation policies.
Graduation Petition Fees
Graduate Petition Fee$50.00
Undergraduate Petition Fee$50.00
Petition Dates and Deadlines
Graduation TermPetition OpensPetition Closes
Summer SemesterJanuary 1April 15
Fall SemesterApril 1July 15
Spring SemesterAugust 1 of previous yearNovember 15 of previous year
Commencement Participation Requirements
- Students are only permitted to participate in the commencement ceremony for the semester that all degree requirements will be completed. Students are not permitted to walk in an earlier semester.
- Students who have petitioned for multiple degrees that fall into the same ceremony may only walk for one degree.
- Students who are unable to attend the ceremony of their expected semester of graduation may contact the Office of the Registrar to request permission to participate in the commencement ceremony of the following semester.
- Participation in a Commencement Ceremony does not constitute earning a degree, and the conferred date on a diploma will coincide with the semester that degree requirements are completed.
- Students are invited to take part in commencement but participating is not required in order to have the degree awarded.
- Students who petition after the established deadline are not guaranteed to be represented in the commencement book or receive ticket allotment for the ceremony.
Undergraduate Graduation Requirements
See Academic Programs and Majors link from the University Catalog. Additional Degree Policies and Requirements
- Successful completion of courses listed as required in the catalog ("C" required in ENGL 1101, 1102 and ALL courses satisfying Lower Division Major Requirements Major course requirements, and Major Electives ).
- Successful completion of Legislative Requirements (U.S./American History and U.S./American Government)
- Minimum Institutional GPA requirement as required in undergraduate catalog. (2.0 for most majors; some programs require a higher GPA).
- Complete a minimum of 120 semester hours. Specific degree programs may require additional hours. A minimum institutional grade point average of 2.0 on all course work attempted at KSU is required. No course may be counted more than one time in meeting the total credit hours required for the degree.
- KSU residency requirement: Minimum of 33 hours must be completed in Coles for BBA - 30 hours must be completed at KSU for all other majors.
- Earn at least 25 percent of the credit hours required for a baccalaureate degree, exclusive of the university-wide requirements (WELL 1000 and the first-year seminar/learning community), through instruction offered by Kennesaw State.
- Minimum of 60 hours must be earned at KSU to be eligible for Honors.
- If an Academic Renewal student, 60 hours must be earned after the Academic Renewal.
- 3.5 cum laude, 3.7 magna cum laude, 3.9 summa cum laude – Grade point averages will NOT be rounded.
- Satisfactorily complete any grades of I (Incomplete), IP (In Progress), or NR (Not Recorded).
- Satisfactorily complete a minimum of 39 semester hours at the 3000-4000 level, including at least 21 semester hours at the 3000-4000 level in the major field of study..
- Satisfactorily complete all requirements for the degree no later than the last day of finals in the term in which the degree is to be awarded. Students who fail to meet this deadline will not receive their degrees until the next posting period.
Graduate Graduation Requirements
Candidates for a master’s or doctoral degree must petition to graduate through the individual program director. A student may request in absentia status by writing to the registrar prior to the graduation exercises. Subject to the limitations and qualifications stated elsewhere in this catalog, the requirements for an advanced degree are as follows:
- A Petition to Graduate must be filed at the beginning of the semester and no later than mid-term preceding the final semester. This form may be obtained from the program director’s office.
- A student must complete a minimum of 27 hours of degree requirements at Kennesaw State University. Candidates for a second master’s degree at Kennesaw State must earn a minimum of 18 additional hours in excess of any hours used toward the first master’s degree (the exact number of hours will depend on specific degree requirements).
- Degree candidates must have earned a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 calculated on all graduate courses attempted at KSU and a grade of “C” or better in each course presented to meet degree requirements. With the approval of the Graduate Policy and Curriculum Committee, individual degree programs may establish additional graduation requirements (e.g., comprehensive exams, thesis).
Graduating with HonorsGraduation with honor for the bachelor's degree requires that students have an adjusted GPA of at least 3.5 and earn at least 60 semester credit hours in residence at Kennesaw State University.
- Summa Cum Laude (3.90 - 4.00)
- Magna Cum Laude (3.70 - 3.89)
- Cum Laude (3.50 - 3.69) and Honors
Master's degree students with a cumulative GPA of 4.0 in all graduate-level course work are eligible for Graduate Student Honors.
Membership in an honor society is independent from KSU graduation honor policy. See the honor society advisor for honor cords.
Diplomas will be mailed approximately six to eight weeks after graduation. The diploma is mailed to the mailing address submitted at the time of petitioning. For any changes to the diploma mailing address, contact GATES in the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.
Student requesting transcript(s) and/or diploma(s) for overseas job opportunities must complete the Apostille Request Form. Make sure you need an Apostille and not a Foreign Use Stamp. If you need a Foreign Use Stamp, please check the appropriate box on the form. If you are unsure whether the country requesting the documentation needs an Apostille or a Foreign Use Stamp, go to http://www.gsccca.org/Projects/hague.asp for a list of countries that need the Apostille.
Replacement DiplomasAlumni may request a replacement diplomas by submitting the Replacement Diploma Request Form to the Office of the Registrar.
The Degree Audit process includes three reviews of academic records. Questions regarding results should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or to the degree auditor contact information that is shared to you within Display Petition Status Link.
The Initial Audit is a first review of progress toward degree completion. It is usually completed within four to six weeks from the time of graduation petition submission. Results will include the details of remaining requirements for graduation toward the degree.
The interim Audit is a second review of progress toward degree completion.Interim Audit review begins after registration closes and is completed by mid-term of the graduation term. If completion of scheduled KSU courses will not satisfy KSU residency requirements, student’s graduation date will be changed to the next semester. Results of this review will be communicated to student through “Display Petition Status Link in Owl Express and through notes in Degree Works. Any problems that are noted during this review should be resolved before the last day to withdraw without academic penalty.
Final AuditThe Final Audit is the last review of progress toward degree completion. It determines eligibility of the degree. Final audit review begins after submission of final grades. A grade is required for all classes taken and recorded on the academic transcript, even if the course is not required for the degree. A candidate will not be certified to graduate with incomplete grades.
Degree AwardingDegrees will be awarded to eligible graduates within four to eight weeks of graduation. Diplomas are mailed to the mailing address submitted at the time of petitioning unless the student selects the option to pick up the diploma. For any changes to the diploma mailing address, contact GATES in the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com