Applying for Benefits through the VA
After applying for admission to the university, students should complete the Veteran's Enrollment Data Sheet and Benefits Statement of Understanding. These forms are to be completed and returned to the VA Certifying Official. Students must also provide a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA before they can be certified for benefits. The student will be notified if any other paperwork is required for their specific educational benefit.
The student must go to www.va.gov to begin the application process through the VA.
- Veterans and Dependents
Complete Form 22-1990 (dependents use Form 22-1990e) if you have NEVER used your educational benefits.
RESTARTING or CHANGING TRAINING SITES? Complete Form 22-1995
- Survivors' and Dependents' Benefits
Complete Form 22-5490 if you have NEVER used your educational benefits.
RESTARTING or CHANGING TRAINING SITES? Complete Form 22-5495
VA Benefit programs available at Kennesaw State University
- Montgomery GI Bill®️/Chapter 30: (active duty or veteran status) must have served in the United States Armed Forces and participated in the GI Bill®️ program. In most instances, veterans must also have been honorably discharged.
- Montgomery GI Bill®️/Chapter 1606: (selected guard and reserves) must have completed all initial entry training (IET) and are now assigned to a Reserve and/or a Georgia National Guard Unit.
- VA Vocational Rehabilitation/Chapter 31: (service-connected disabled veterans) must make application with a local VA caseworker to have a rehabilitation plan developed indicating a KSU degree plan.
- Post 9/11 GI Bill®️/Chapter 33: must have active duty service on or after September 11, 2001. Benefit is based on service credits.
- Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program/ Chapter 35 (dependents and spouses of 100% disabled or deceased veterans).
Specific information on each chapter can be found on the VA's website: www.gibill.va.gov.
GI Bill®️ is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.