Student Reference Guide for VA Education Benefits at KSU

All students using VA benefits must complete and submit all required documents to the KSU School Certifying Official (SCO) before they can use benefits at KSU.  Please refer to the VA Education Benefits Document Checklist.

The information below pertains to ALL students using VA education benefits:

The VA requires that we only certify classes that are applicable to your degree.  This means we cannot certify:

  • Classes that are not required for your degree program (unused courses in DegreeWorks)
  • Repeats of a class for which you already have a degree-satisfying grade
  • Classes for which no credit hours are earned (audits, classes for zero credit hours, co‑ops)

If you enroll in classes that are not degree-applicable, you will be responsible for the payment.

Certifications:  Degree-required enrollment is certified to the VA each semester that you are enrolled.  We use your Owl Express account and DegreeWorks to determine your enrollment, and ensure classes are required for your degree program.  Any change to enrollment or late registration is submitted after drop/add ends.  If you register during the three weeks before classes begin, the BAH and book money may be delayed due to the time of certification and the processing by the VA.  You will receive payment from the beginning date of the semester. If you do not wish to use your benefits, you must notify your Certifying Official via your student email prior to the start of the semester that you do not wish to be certified.

Grades and Withdrawals:  If you withdraw from a class, it may create a debt to the VA.  The VA will send you a letter that will explain how to pay.  If you stop attending a class without withdrawing, be aware that the professor can report this at the end of the semester as a withdrawal, which will create the debt to the VA.  Also, we are required to report failing grades (with last date of attendance) to the VA, which could create a debt to the VA.

Tuition and fees:  It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Tuition Classification Officer at to determine if they are eligible for in-state tuition.  For Chapter 33 students, the VA will only pay the in-state rate.  If you do not receive resident status or a waiver, you will be responsible for the difference between the in-state and out-of-state tuition rate.

Communication with Students:  We use the KSU student email account to send information to our students.  It is the student’s responsibility to check their email on a regular basis.  Students emailing the KSU Certifying Officials should use their student email account and provide their name and student ID number.

For Veterans:  Veterans may elect to have their military training and experience considered for transfer credit.  If you elect this option, you will need to complete the Military Transfer Credit Agreement Form and submit it to the Office of the Registrar.

Students are responsible for paying all university bills. You must adhere to published payment deadlines. Please check your account one week prior to the published payment deadline to confirm amount owed, if any, to KSU.

It normally takes the VA processing center 6-8 weeks to process new educational claims, so please plan accordingly.

If you have questions about whether the VA has sent your payment or to inquire if you have been certified, you will need to call the VA at 888‑442‑4551.

If you have questions regarding your student account balance, please contact the Bursar’s Office (470‑578‑3458 or 

Please see the information below for your specific chapter of benefits:

Chapter 33 (Post 9/11):

Chapter 33 pays tuition and fees directly to KSU for your certified hours.  If you receive less than 100% of the benefit, you must pay your part by the payment deadline or classes will be deleted.  Any scholarship money you receive for tuition must be subtracted from the amount we bill the VA (ex: HOPE scholarship, etc.).  The VA does not cover fines (parking, library, etc.), meal plan, parking permits, study abroad fees, or replacement ID cards.

Book money is sent from the VA to the student for the certified hours.  If you receive 100% of the benefit, you are eligible for $1000.00.  This is divided by 24 semester hours, and renews each academic year.

Your housing allowance is paid at the end of each month you are enrolled.  The amount of the check is determined by the number of certified hours and caps at the full time rate.  Also, the VA does not pay for “break pay” between semesters. 

To receive the monthly housing allowance (BAH), you must be certified for more than half time enrollment.  Full time for undergraduate students (for Fall and Spring) is 12 hours, so you must enroll for at least 7 hours to receive BAH. Full time for graduate students (Fall and Spring) is 9 hours, so you must enroll for at least 5 hours to receive BAH.  Summer full time hours are different, and that information will be emailed to students before Summer registration begins.   To be able to receive the maximum BAH, you must carry a full academic load and have one class on-campus (lecture or hybrid). 

Each semester you are certified, you will receive from the VA an updated benefits letter.  We require you to provide us a copy of that letter each semester.  A current printout from eBenefits is also acceptable.

If your remaining benefit time will not cover the semester, the Bursar’s Office requires you to pay your tuition and fees by the payment deadline.  When the VA pays the school, the Bursar’s Office will reimburse any money due you.

Chapter 1606 and Chapter 30:

Chapters 1606 and 30 pay a monthly stipend sent to you either by check or direct deposit from the VA at the end of each month.  Since the school does not receive payment for your tuition and fees, you are responsible for payment by the final payment deadline.

As a Chapter 1606 or Chapter 30 student, you must verify your attendance on the last day of the month so your benefit money will be sent.  You can go either go online to or call 1-877-823-2378.

Chapter 35 (Dependent Education Assistance – DEA):

Chapter 35 pays a monthly amount, determined by the number of certified semester hours.  The money is sent to you either by check or direct deposit from the VA at the end of each month.  Since the school does not receive payment for your tuition and fees, you are responsible for payment by the final payment deadline.

Chapter 31 (Voc Rehab):

Chapter 31 will pay for tuition, fees, and books, as authorized by the student’s Voc Rehab Counselor. If you have inquiries regarding other benefit payments under Chapter 31, you will need to ask your Voc Rehab Counselor. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure their Voc Rehab Counselor has uploaded the authorization for the School Certifying Official and is current for the upcoming semester. To find out if it has been uploaded, please contact your Voc Rehab Counselor.