Final Grades and Attendance Verification
Federal regulations governing the disbursement of financial aid require institutions to verify student attendance in class. To comply with these regulations, the following Attendance Verification procedures will be implemented at the time of final grade submission each semester.
Verification of Attendance:
Faculty should submit a grade of “NA” for students who never attended class where attendance/roll is recorded or never participated in an academically-related activity.
“Academic attendance” and “attendance in an academically-related activity” include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Submitting an academic assignment;
- Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students by taking an exam, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction;
- Attending a study group that is assigned by the institution;
- Participating in an online discussion about academic matters; and
- Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.
“Academic attendance” and “attendance in an academically related activity” do not include activities where a student may be present, but not academically engaged, such as:
- Living in institutional housing;
- Participating in the institution’s meal plan;
- Logging into an online class without active participation;
- Attending an on-campus class without any level of academic/active participation or participating in academic counseling or advisement.
For example, if a student attended class before the add/drop deadline, but never attended thereafter, or did not complete any academic-related activity, a grade of “NA” should be assigned.
Unofficial Withdrawals- Last Date of Attendance: Faculty should submit a W or WF grade for students who stop attending class and do not officially withdraw as follows:
- For students who stop attending class on or before the published “Last Day to Withdraw without Academic Penalty date, a grade of W or WF should be assigned based on the student’s status in the course.
- For students who stop attending class after the published “Last Day to Withdraw without Academic Penalty” date, and prior to the last day of class, a grade of WF should be assigned.
- Faculty should also submit the last known date of academically-related activity (i.e., exam, test, assignments, etc.) into the “Last Attend Date” field. If the last date of attendance or class participation is unknown, faculty should leave this field blank.
The university recognizes two types of F grades – an earned F and WF. The WF grade is assigned when a student stops attending class (unofficial withdrawal) after the published “Last Day to Withdraw without Academic Penalty” date, and prior to the last day of class.
If you have any questions concerning this attendance verification procedure, please contact the Office of the Registrar at email@example.com.